Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Chicago Diner

I recently took an impromptu road trip to Chicago with my friend Becky to go see Hanson, and while I was out there my not-so-secret agenda revolved around sandwiches. You see, two of my favorite sandwiches of all time are made in Chicago: Chicago Diner's Radical Reuben and Handlebar's Buffalo 'Chicken' Wrap. Luckily, Becky was awesome enough to make the trip to eat both sandwiches.
We started out with the Chicago Diner- always a crowd pleaser. I got the same thing I always get: Radical Reuben with mac and cheeze as my side. I always consider branching out, but the reuben calls me back every time. I just can't say no to sauerkraut. This behemoth of a sandwich can technically be eaten like a sandwich, but go ahead and save yourself the trouble and just eat it with a knife and fork. Tons of kraut and seitan, along with creamy mac on the side satisfies me each time I order it. To round out the meal, I ordered a s'more milkshake to go. I didn't take a picture of it, but trust me, it was perfection. I even got a marshmallow stuck in my straw, and isn't that what everyone wants out of a s'more shake?

I will talk about Handlebar later, and just let the you soak in the glory of the Radical Reuben for now.

4 comments:

  1. I seriously have to get to Chicago to go there...Any other Chicago suggestions???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handlebar, Green Grocer (it's a deli to-go case), any of Karyn's restaurants, Pick Me Up (open super late), Veggie Bite is great for fast food, and I've heard Earwax is good, but I've never gotten the chance to eat there. I've also been wanting to try iCream, which is an ice cream shop where you design your own ice cream and they make it on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, Loving Hut..get the Kung Pao. Earwax is yummy..ate there 2003. Green Zebra is supposed to be delicious upper scale veg dining (didn't make it last trip..since we ate at Chicago Diner & Loving Hut twice each). I'm dying to try the Halfpipe & the Dagwood (big yummy sandwiches) next trip to The Chicago Diner. Plus, I still haven't had their gyro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gyro is also amazing. I have been there numerous times and would have to say the Reuben and Gyro are my faaaaavorite. MMMM.

    ReplyDelete