Thursday, July 22, 2010

Pike Place Chowder/Chowdah/Chowdere

Do you remember that episode of "The Simpsons" where Quimby's relative (nephew, I think?) tries to make the waiter says 'chowder' with a different accent? That's what I always think of when I see chowder. Anyway, I loved clam chowder growing up, burning my arm more than once by carrying a too full bowl of too hot Campbell's clam chowder down the stairs to watch Beauty and the Beast. However, I rarely get chowder these days because one girl with a giant pot of soup tends to lead to wasteful food in my world. Plus, soup is a lot of work to eat. I prefer sandwiches or wraps or burritos.

This is why I was delighted to hear about vegan soup located at Pike Place Chowder, located near (surprise!) the Pike Place Market in Seattle, Washington. It's pretty easy to be a vegan at Pike Place, seeing as how it's basically a giant farmer's market, but it's nice to know that I can get a vegan chowder here too.

The chowder definitely isn't clam chowder, but that's okay, because it still tastes hearty and lovely. Based in coconut milk, it's full of veggies (corn and carrots come to mind) and is absolutely satisfying. If you don't like coconut milk, I would skip this one, but if you do, boy howdy, you are in luck. Seattle is full of amazing vegan dining options (Hillside Quickies, I'm looking at you) but this mighty little chowder sticks out in my mind as one of my favorite foods I've had while in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment