Tuesday, December 13, 2011

30 Days of Books: Um, catching up

I'm not going to offer excuses as to why I haven't posted, so here are my catch-up books (let's pretend I didn't skip day eight).

Day Nine: A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving
The answer to this one is Not Wanted On The Voyage by Timothy Findley. Totally weird and surreal, this is a retelling of Noah's ark, and God and Noah are the villians of the piece. It took me a little while to realize how surreal it was and I hated it until I was figured out that the dragons were just a normal part of reality in Findley's book.

Day Ten: Favorite classic book
This question is hard because what exactly makes a book a classic? I'm going to go with the general definition of 'oldish' and select Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo. The story of an anonymous soldier who wakes up in a hospital lacking arms, legs and a lower jaw, as well as now being blind and deaf. The whole story takes place in his head. He lacks a specific country of origin, which makes the story that much more powerful.

Day 11: A book you hated
I don't hate a lot of books but I really hated The Daughters of the Plaza Del Mayo. I had to read it for a class and now I can't find anything about it on the internet, but it is intensely boring and not super well written.

Day 12: A book you used to love but don’t anymore
The first time I read The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, I was in seventh or eighth grade and it seemed like the greatest book ever: compelling characters, interesting story, tragic ending. My dad warned me never to read it again because I would not be so impressed reading it as an adult. I read it again when I was 24 and my dad was right. We're just going to leave it at that.

Day 13: Your favourite writer
Ray Bradbury. Love an author that can write great science fiction but make the scariest parts of it entirely human.

No comments:

Post a Comment