After reading the article about this project, I was both infuriated and inspired. Infuriated because there is no reason that this problem should continue to exist, nor should these women have to suffer past simply having their period. However, the inspiration took over and I messaged some friends via facebook to get together and sew reusable pads for Days For Girls.
I won't detail the frantic last minute search for polyurethane lined fabric (PUL) or exactly how many sugar cookies we made, but I will outline what I learned:
- Make one pad first so that you have a model to learn from
- Ask for reusable diaper material at the fabric store to obtain your PUL
- Days For Girls will accept any type of reusable fabric pad, so if there's a pattern you love, use it! If not, the Days For Girls site has patterns that are free to download
- Days For Girls will apply the snaps to the reusable pads for you
- If you can't sew, Days For Girls also accepts donations of soap, washcloths, panties and sturdy one gallon bags
Also, a giant thanks goes out to Alexia of Autopilot Art for letting us take over her studio for a day and for her willingness to serge endlessly.