Friday, December 17, 2010

Hanson's Lemon Sugar Cookies

If you know me in real life, you probably know that I love Hanson. So, when they made lemon sugar cookies on their new Christmas special, it was obvious that I would be veganizing them and sharing the vegan recipe with the world and possibly using the cookies as gifts for my relatives. These have a fairly delicate lemon flavor, so load them up with lemon zest if you're into that. These may actually be my new favorite sugar cookies- sugar and lemon is a flavor combo I can never say no to.

Hanson's Lemon Sugar Cookies

  • 3/4 cup Earth Balance, at room temperature, diced
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs worth of egg replacer (I used Bob's Red Mill brand)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • grated rind of 1 lemon
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 2/3 cups plain (all-purpose) flour
  • Frosting pen (I used a Wilton Fondant Icing Writer)
  • colored sugar or other decorations of your choice (I used India Sugar)
Cream the butter, then proceed to cream the sugar into the butter. Add in the egg replacer, vanilla extract, lemon rind and salt. Cream until blended. Gradually mix in the flour. At this point, you may need to add some liquid to the dough, as mine was a bit crumbly. Don't worry, a little moisture will solve that problem. Once mixed, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes- the longer the better.

Once the dough is chilled, it's time to cut 'em out! First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line some cookie trays with parchment paper. You'll want to roll your sugar cookies out, flouring (or powdered sugaring) both the dough and the rolling surface. Roll the dough out to about 1/4 inch thick and cut your cookies out! Place on cookie sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes. When they are done, decorate how you see fit. I made Hanson symbols and dinosaurs (not pictured). Enjoy.

1 comment: