Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dresser Makeover


There's one side of my room that is incredibly boring. Imagine a white dresser with white shelving on top of it, against a white wall. Terrible. Painting my dresser drawers was considered, but laminate specific paint requires seven days to cure and with two cats, the chances of that happening successfully are slim. Needing something that required zero drying time, I turned to contact paper. Armed with a roll of green self-adhesive contact paper, I applied some foliage to my dresser drawers. My new dresser, with some pictures ready to be added to the wall, my boring wall has become much more exciting. Click after the jump for a how-to.



Supplies Needed
Contact Paper
Scissors
Computer Paper
Pencil
Patience, Endless Patience

1) Remove any hardware, such as the knobs, from the dresser and clean the front of the drawers thoroughly.

2) Sketch your design directly onto the surface. Once you are happy with the design, you will trace it using the computer paper and then cut it out and use as a stencil. Remember to mirror the stencil when you trace it so that contact paper is facing the correct direction. Also, don't try and make a giant stencil- do a bit at a time to avoid bubbling and mistakes.
3) Apply your contact paper. Go slowly and apply a little bit at a time. Fix any mistakes and make any necessary adjustments. This can get tedious but will pay off with a job well done.

4) Enjoy your lovely furniture.

Note: you won't want to do this with super special, fancy furniture because there is an excellent chance that the contact paper will ruin my laminate finish. However, I will respond with either more contact paper or paint, so no big.

5 comments:

  1. This looks amazing, and contact paper is such a great idea! I've been wanting to do something similar with our stairs, but I thought I'd have to do a lot of stenciling and messy painting. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are more patient and less destructive than I am, you can removable contact paper that should come off without taking any paint off.

    ReplyDelete