Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tofurky Frozen Pizza

Frozen pizza is tied in with many happy memories of mine- mostly of eating it while watching movies with my family. So, I was super excited to find out that Tofurky was putting out a frozen pizza. Finally! When I discovered it was available at my local Whole Foods, I ran out to purchase a pie. I agonized over the choice- cheese, pepperoni or sausage and vegetables. I went with middle of the road, topping-wise, and settled on pepperoni. I hustled it home, took a picture of the box (obviously) and then set to cooking it. However, upon freeing my pizza, I was saddened to see how little Daiya was sprinkled onto my pizza. If I'm paying $9 for a frozen pizza, it better be loaded with toppings. There was plenty of pepperoni, but I really would have liked more Daiya on it- the pepperoni was a little overwhelming and the Daiya would have balanced it perfectly. Don't get me wrong- it was good and I ate it, but each bite was tinged with the sadness of what could have been. 
The rest of the pizza was, in fact, great. It is the perfect substitute for my beloved Tombstone- crust and sauce especially. If I try it again, I'll definitely go for the cheese and add my own toppings. However, for $9, I would rather just hit up the Whole Foods pizza area on a Wednesday and get a bigger pie for the same price. Good for an emergency option in the freezer, but I don't foresee this being added to my regular rotation of convenience foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment