Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring Festival: Arts, Crafts and Soap

One of my favorite ways to spend a lazy Saturday is by going to craft shows with my mom. The majority of these take place in church basements filled with adorable senior citizens, selling their crocheted scrubbies and geese with bonnets. However, each spring brings the Spring Festival, a craft fair so big that it takes place at the Qwest Center. There are a ridiculous amount of booths, but I decided to highlight my three favorites.

1) Meaningful Charms: This lovely couple creates some of my favorite bracelets of all time. They hand-cast their charms, and each charm has it's own meaning. This year, I bought a bracelet wtih a sandstone cat charm for protection, as well as a peacock for wild success and colorful romance. Saucy! They have pre-made bracelets, but you can have one custom made. I have several of these and they get compliments all the time, and now that I know that they custom make bracelets, everyone I know will be receiving them for their birthday (buy four and get the fifth one free!). I look forward to visiting this booth to sift through their amazing bracelets every year. The website is a little clunky right now, but they are updating it to make it more user friendly. Visit it and make a bracelet! You'll love it!

2) Country Memories Soap: I first saw this booth at the Fall version of this craft fair, and what made me stop and look was a sign that said "meets vegan requirements". Hold up! I asked the proprietor of the booth and she confirmed that this soap was, in fact, vegan friendly. I bought six slices and got my seventh one free. This round of slices purchased included gingerfish (doesn't smell like fish), energy (satsuma), Caribbean coconut and citrus cilantro. The scents are strong but not overwhelming and the soap is wonderfully moisturizing.

3) In-Weave: This place sells every size of rug available and they are soft and plush and wonderful. What's extra cool about this booth is that they hand-weave the rugs with the salvaged edges of upholstery fabric- the part that normally gets thrown away. In addition, they weave their smaller rugs on looms from the 1930s and 1940s. I have one of these rugs in my kitchen and I always make a point to stand on it, even I don't have to, because it feel so good on my feet. For being eco-friendly, high quality and hand-made, these guys get a thumbs up from me.

There are lots and lots more booths at this fair, so I was selective about what I took pictures of. I almost came home with a PBR nightlight, but I forgot to pick it up on my way out (we all have our regrets). Swing by, eat some samples (there are vegan ones to be found) and get your arts and crafts on.

No comments:

Post a Comment