Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What was on my Clean Plate this week: Burrito Brunch

There are few things I enjoy more in this life than burritos. Consistently delicious, easily eaten with a single hand and customization options are limitless. I normally hit up Chipotle for my burrito fix, so I was amped to hear that Clean Plate would be doing a burrito brunch.

That Sunday morning of the burrito brunch, I showed up about 26 minutes after opening, so naturally most of the food was taken by those ambitious enough to set their alarm clocks earlier than mine. Though I was slightly bummed to be lacking in burrito-related options, I was much more excited to see that Omaha has consistently welcomed an entirely vegan meal with such enthusiasm. And besides, there was Mexican Hot Chocolate left, so I couldn't be too upset, right?

What I did manage to get my hands on was grilled tortillas, beans, rice and grilled sweet potatoes in cilantro lime vinaigrette. There were also several kinds of salsas available, all of which I would buy if they were for sale. Everything was perfectly seasoned and cooked, and each flavor flowed together as if they were meant to be. Meant to be in my mouth.

Though I loved my burritos and sweet potatoes, I have to say that the highlight of the meal for me was the Mexican Hot Chocolate. Hot chocolate is something that I don't indulge in that often, so every time I have it, it is definitely a treat. This stuff was something special. It was more like a delicately spiced chocolate soup than a drink, and though I wound up sharing a good portion of it with Alaina, it was still the perfect start to my slightly chilly Sunday morning.

What I love about Clean Plate is that I know it will not only be delicious, but that I always know that it was prepared with care and passion. Chipotle is always good, but I rarely get the sense that these people live to prepare burritos. Clean Plate is not only about fantastic food, it is also about Elle being able to showcase her abilities and her genuine love for her craft. That being said, she is looking to get a more permanent spot going (other than her home) and is asking...

"If you know ANYONE that would be interested in helping me get it done, please put them in touch. I need plumbing and electrical advice, hand me down commercial kitchen equipment, moral support, hungry people, INVESTORS and everything in between."
So, far off vegan investor/plumber/electrical technician/purveyor of used kitchen equipment, if you want to make a huge difference in Omaha's vegan scene, please, please, please contact Clean Plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment