Thursday, May 9, 2013

Call of the Wild: Aftershokz Headphones

Aftershokz headphones recently contacted me asking if I'd like to give their open ear headphones a try and after a quick gander at their website, I quickly said yes- they looked amazing! Aftershokz use bone-conducting technology so that instead of the music being in your ears, preventing you from hearing anything, it is next to your ears, so you can hear what's going on around you. This has obvious advantages for safety, such as hearing cars and strangers coming, but you can also hear people cheer you on (clearly a major concern of mine). But would they work?

More photogenic than I am post-run
In a word: yes. I love these things and they will be my go to for outdoor runs from now on- I'm extremely pleased with these buddies. I was definitely concerned about sound quality prior to trying them, but those concerns turned out to be unfounded as the sound quality on these is surprisingly good. You can turn them up loud enough to drown out sounds surrounding you if you want to, but I was also able to carry on a conversation with a co-worker with them on a low volume, all from a clip-on device for easy access. Aftershokz headphones also stay put during my runs, which is definitely a bonus. For transportation, they come with a snazzy carrying case, so you can avoid that whole unpleasant scenario where the cord becomes hopelessly tangled in your bag. As far as being able to hear people cheering you on? I wore them during a recent race and am pleased to report that I was able to hear people cheering quite clearly. Overall, Aftershokz headphones are a winner in my book, and I'm so happy to have a way to stay safe and listen to music while running in the wild.

Aftershokz Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment