Sunday, December 19, 2010

Here We Come A Wassailing: My Favorite Christmas Albums

To be honest, most Christmas music makes me less than pleased. I've been known to use the phrase 'drive me to kill' in regard to "We Need A Little Christmas". However, I would like to focus on the good and talk about what Christmas music doesn't make me shudder. If you want the bad stuff, head on over to Everything Is Terrible, because they have it covered.

XO For The Holidays: Some classics, some new songs and all for free! You can download every album at the link, but my favorite is album II, which features Drew Grow's cover of "Tennessee Christmas". I'm actually pretty into these and will even listen to these in November.

Picture from Paste Magazine
Christmas in the Heart by Bob Dylan: Sometimes the holidays make me feel disoriented. When I want to whip that disorientation and confusion into a frenzy, I turn to Bob Dylan's Christmas album. Also, the cover reminds me of when the Russian couple were thrown to the wolves in My Antonia.

White Christmas by Bing Crosby: Ignoring the fact that this album contains several gold standards for many Christmas songs, this album contains both Christmas in Killarney and Mele Kalikimaka, which are two Christmas I really, really enjoy.

Snowed In by Hanson: Duh. Really. I listen to this in July. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) has been my favorite Christmas song since 1997. It isn't Christmas without Snowed In. As a bonus, the song I linked to is the soundtrack for an excellent Power Rangers montage. As a side note, if you go to Hanson's website, you can listen to all of Snowed In for free using their media player. Seriously, this one is good. Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment