Friday, November 12, 2010

A Soundtrack for Spices: Music I Cook To

Isaac Hanson's feet. Don't be too jealous.
I've noticed that when I cook without music, I clench my jaw hard enough to give myself a pretty phenomenal headache. To prevent this, here's my favorite music to mince to.

Hanson: I love Hanson. I have a shirt that says so. Their music is heavily influenced by the 60s, with a touch of gospel, all highlighted with flawless vocal harmonizing. I'll listen to anything by them, but I've really been into their latest album, Shout It Out, featuring “Thinking 'Bout Something”. As a side note, you can listen to all of their albums for free through their website. Current Favorite Jam: Thinking 'Bout Something (the video features Weird Al...really)

Robyn: There's nothing like dancing to Swedish pop while sauteing. I realize that my list is skewing more than a little 90's-centric, but I'm not talking about “Show Me Love”-era Robyn. I'm talking about “Cobrastyle” Robyn. Her latest albums are full of catchy dance music that is both powerful and fun. Current favorite jam: Dancing On My Own

Brandi Carlile: My friend Chelsea introduced me to Brandi Carlile and I'm so glad she did. Her music is a hybrid of old school country and some rock. Combine that with an incredible voice and Brandi Carlile can take me through my Sunday afternoon cooking to prepare for the week. Current Favorite Jam: Dying Day

Jonny Lang: Perhaps the best thing to ever come out of Fargo, Jonny Lang was a blues prodigy and started in the music business at quite a young age. Sometimes I just want a little bit of the blues while I do my cooking. Current Favorite Jam: Lie To Me (Actually, his official channel doesn't have very many videos, but this one's pretty great. Also, it was made in the 90s when he was 16, so don't judge that part)

100 Monkeys: This is Jackson Rathbone's band (yes, from Twilight) and they have several songs that tell little stories. There are few things I love more than story songs. No sparkles. You can listen to a bunch of their songs on their website as well. Current Favorite (non-story) Jam: Ugly Girl

The Pretty Reckless: Taylor Momsen's band sounds like Hole and Paramore had a baby and I love it. It's so over the top and ridiculous that you can't help but get into it. You go, 17 year old girl but you may want to put on some pants. Current favorite jam: Miss Nothing

1 comment:

  1. So cool! I remember being in love with Jonny Lang in the mid 90s or something. Greatness.

    ReplyDelete