Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Crystal Jade and Daikon Swans

The newest buzz in Omaha vegan dining is Crystal Jade. Housed in a former Village Inn, Crystal Jade offers a fantastic vegetarian menu (with vegan items clearly marked) and also a vegan night with the offer of free soup with any vegan entree. Armed with this knowledge, I met up with several of my vegan cohorts to experience vegan night for myself.

It was wonderful.

The food was delicious. I got the Volcano Tofu, which was the perfect balance of sweet and savory, but also got to sample the Spicy Tofu Bulgogi, Sweet and Sour Tofu, Tofu and Veggie in Katsu Sauce and the Yellow Tofu Curry. Each dish was distinctive and made me want to order one for myself. However, the serving sizes are easily enough for two meals, so I restrained myself. The dishes were also presented beautifully, with swans and flowers created out of vegetables gracing every plate.

One thing I need to note about Crystal Jade was the remarkable service. Not only were orders taken, questions answered and food delivered promptly, the staff went out of their way to make sure we had a good time. The end of the meal brought free chocolate pie, and when they realized that there were not enough thawed slices left for a family dining with us, they gave them the whole pie. For free. A free pie! How can you beat that?! They also taught us how to turn daikon slices into a beautiful flower (like the one shown at left) with a patient lesson.


Crystal Jade serves up a winning combination of great food and wonderful, friendly service. I will definitely be going back.

3 comments:

  1. I certainly wish this restaurant was located in my neighborhood... :) The food looks fabulous, and the service sounds quite outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally out of the loop when it comes to veg dining in Omaha. It's been two or three years since I've been there (well, STAYED there - I've driven through), but now I know where I'm going to eat next time I'm in the area.

    ReplyDelete