Monday, January 18, 2010

Mama's Pizza has Daiya Cheese!

When you burn the roof of your mouth, every time you touch it, you tend to think "stupid tea/coffee/panini/etc." I happen to be in a similar situation right now, with a burned palate, but somehow, every time I touch it or it hurts, I think "that pizza was so freaking good."

The pizza in question is a Daiya cheese pizza (with black olives) from Mama's Pizza, located at 715 Saddle Creek Road. The Saddle Creek location is the only one with Daiya, but it is a magnificent experience.

Prior to eating at Mama's, I had only had Daiya in the form of grilled cheese, and I was in love with it. I had heard negative things about the greasy mouthfeel Daiya on pizza, but my curiousity (and hunger) were too strong so I dragged my ever patient mother with me to Mama's to give the pizza a try.

The results? Excellent. My mom and I were raving about the pizza for the rest of the day. My mom eats dairy and she was totally down with the Daiya. The Daiya had a slight crust from being cooked and created a delicate crunch over an amazing layer of gooey cheese. Not only was the Daiya fabulous, but so was everything else. The pizza sauce was the perfect complement to the toppings, with strong overtones of onion and garlic mixed in among the tomato sauce and the crust was thick enough to stand up to the toppings without being so thick that it was all you could taste.

Overall, I'm pretty in love with Mama's Pizza and their Daiya cheese. I am loving the fact that Omaha now has two options for vegan pizza (three, if you include Whole Foods) and both are fantastic. Good show, Omaha.

1 comment: