Today kicks off the Third Annual Vegan Mofo, otherwise known as the Vegan Month of Food. I've always wanted to participate, and took the chance this year to kick my blogging booty back into gear. Being part of Mofo means I will be blogging (almost) every day about something vegan. Note: I'm bending the rules for myself to talk about things other than food, since I believe that veganism is more than just what you eat.
Anyway, sit back, chillax and prepare yourself for a month of blathering from me! I'll start things off gently with a survey...
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
The only things I really drink with any consistency would be Diet Coke and rum (not always together), but I do put Unsweetened Original Almond Breeze on my cereal every morning.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
That onion quiche from Vegan Brunch, Penne Vodka from Veganomicon, A bowl of cereal
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Salt. Lots of salt.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
The first time I made soup was a pretty epic failure. Let's just say I was inspired by an episode of Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals.
5. Favorite pickled item?
6. How do you organize your recipes?
Cookbooks are in with my normal books and recipes from the internet are either bookmarked or part of a very large word document
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)?
pasta, avocado sushi, grapes
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
My family used to get McDonald's on Christmas Eve and drive around to look at lights while we ate it. Delightfully trashy.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Temptation Peach Cobbler or Scoops in LA
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
Personally? My Vegan With a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. It inspired me to actually learn how to cook instead of just putting frozen dinners in the microwave and I am endlessly grateful for that.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Blueberry or Denver Vegfest Love Jam
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Sushi! There's so many ways to make it!
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
Tofu in most cases, Seitan when there is buffalo wing sauce involved
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
I always cook at night, so dinner is my top choice
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
A bag of cat food
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Corn, Tater Tots, Lisa Frank Ice Pack
20. What's on your grocery list?
My constants: Peanut Butter Panda Puffs, Original Unsweetend Almond Breeze, Bananas
From there, I let my menu for the week guide me through all shopping decisions.
21. Favorite grocery store?
In Omaha, I have to go with Whole Foods. It's been years since I could do all of my grocery shopping in one place and I really appreciate it. Jane's Health Market has a special place in my heart for stocking Go Max Go bars and having the best Manna Tofu ever.
22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet.
The cheese lasagna from Valentino's. That stuff is freaking amazing.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Does Cake Wrecks count?
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Buccaneers Go Max Go bar!
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
I bought some of that pre-made sushi at Whole Foods today. That's about as extravagant as I get.
26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
The scoby that you need to make kombucha. It looks like a kind version of placenta.