Thursday, December 1, 2011

30 Days of Books Kick in the Butt

To explain my silence, I haven't been doing much that's super exciting in general and my dinners have been variations of whole wheat pasta with veggies, which would make for boring pictures that are taken in artificial light. In light of this, I am going to be doing the 30 Day Book Meme, which I found through Windy City Vegan. Without further ado, here is day one:

Day One- The best book you read last year:

Twilight! Just kidding, but it is a vampire book: The Historian: A Novel by Elizabeth Kostova. To be perfectly blunt, when I describe the plot to people, all I can think about is how lame I make it sound. It's the story of a young woman searching for her missing father. Also missing are her mother and her father's advisor, who are all linked to Dracula. Yes, the book is about Dracula, but it never feels cliched or boring. Between lush descriptions of various locations throughout the world and the overwhelming sense of dread that pervades the book, you forget all the stereotypes of Dracula that culture has provided and become immersed in the story provided.

3 comments:

  1. Coinkydink! I just started this book last night, and I am loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love LOVE this book! If I had read it last year, it probably would have been my pick.

    And that whole "when I describe the plot to people, all I can think about is how lame I make it sound" is exactly how I feel when I try to describe A Discovery of Witches to people.

    You really scared me with "Twilight". (j/k - no judgement!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan- You will love it! It's hard to put down.

    WCV- Well, I read Twilight over a year ago, so it was out of the running. Kidding. The best books are always the hardest to describe.

    ReplyDelete